Thursday, July 26, 2007

Trip 2: Castle Williams

Okay so you get on Governor's Island for free, so what do notice? Well it is very militaristic. There are forts, barracks, moats, and castles. They even had there own railroad system, the shortest in the world. Let's look around.

IMG_2993
Once off the boat you feel the family-friendly atmosphere.

IMG_2995
I believe these are offices, the barracks are not for the public.

IMG_2996
The library.

IMG_2999
The seldom used parking lot.(No cars are allowed)

IMG_3003
A castle let's charge.

IMG_3011
Took four years to complete, 1807-1811.

Castle Williams
Castle Williams, if I took a proper tour I'd tell you more history.


Next time I wonder the streets.

2 comments:

  1. A nice visual supplement to the 8/31/09 New Yorker article on the island. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks maybe I'll pick up that issue.

    ReplyDelete